This policy also takes into account the requirements under the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA“).
Privacy legislation in Canada defines personal information as any data about an identifiable individual. In general, personal information does not include business contact information, including your name, title or position, business or business email address, telephone, or facsimile number.
How Do We Collect and Use Your Data?
We collect personal data you willingly provide on our site. This could be when you fill out online forms to reach us, subscribe to a newsletter, or register for our events. We use the data you provide only for the purpose for which you have provided it.
The data we may collect about you includes the following:
- Job title, job level, or function
- Company or organization
- Company data
- Contact information, including primary email, email address, and telephone numbers
- Demographics, such as industry, country, postcode, preferences, and interests
- Other data relevant to client surveys or similar research
- Data relating to events captured through event-related forms, such as dietary restrictions, hotel and flight information, registration/participation status, media interview attendance, previous event experience, and gender
- Data pertinent to fulfilling our services to you
- Any other pieces of data you voluntarily provide us
We do not intentionally collect sensitive category data unless you provide us with such data. While there may be free text boxes on the site where you are able to enter any data, we do not intend to process sensitive information. You are not required to provide and should not disclose sensitive data in the free text boxes. If you choose to provide any sensitive data in this manner, you acknowledge your consent to the collection and processing of this data.
If you have subscribed to or attended a past JSCP event, we may merge that information with the data you’ve provided on our website. We provide an ongoing opportunity to unsubscribe or opt out of JSCP communications. To do so, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team.
Cookies and Web Beacons
Like many other websites, JSCP uses “cookies.” These cookies store data such as visitors’ preferences and the pages on the website that the visitor accessed or visited. This data helps us optimize users’ experiences by tailoring our web page content based on browser type and/or other data.
What are Log Files
A log file is a record of all activities on a website or server. It contains data such as internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser types, and actions taken by users on the website, such as the number of clicks.
How We Use Log Files
JSCP follows a standard process when using log files. These files log automatically when you visit our website, a practice followed by all hosting companies as part of their hosting services’ analytics. This data is not linked to any personally identifiable data. Its purpose is to analyze trends, administer the site, track users’ movements on the website, and gather demographic data.
Why We Process Your Data:
- To administer and manage our site, including confirming and authenticating your identity and preventing unauthorized access
- To personalize and enrich your browsing experience by displaying content (including targeted advertising) that is more likely to be relevant and of interest to you
- To analyze the data of visitors to our site and site traffic
- To capture web metrics about the journey of users within our site
- To determine the company, organization, institution, or agency that you work for or with which you are otherwise associated
- To develop our business and services
- To provide you with marketing communications
- To conduct benchmarking and data analysis (for example, regarding usage of our site and demographic analyses of visitors to our site)
- To understand how visitors use the features and functions of our site
- To conduct quality and risk management reviews
- To enable the better management of JSCP events
- To help event teams coordinate email campaigns and notifications effectively
- To allow for event and webinar sign-up
- To allow for content download and lead capturing
- To allow services and information to be delivered effectively to you
- Any other purpose for which you provided pieces of data to JSCP
Legal Grounds for Processing Your Data:
- Our legitimate interest in the effective delivery of information and services to you and the effective and lawful operation of our businesses
- Our legitimate interest in developing and improving our site, and your user experience
- Explicit consent of you, the visitor
JSCP uses third-party plugins and apps on the website. These third parties may collect, store, or process personal data on our behalf or for their own purposes. Please consult the respective privacy policies of these third parties to understand their data collection practices and how they protect user privacy.
Our website uses Google Analytics (“Google”) for reporting, visualizing, and analyzing data. We also use various social media plugins.
Privacy Policies of Advertising Partners
Compliance with PIPEDA
JSCP is committed to complying with the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) by maintaining appropriate security measures to protect personal data and ensuring that our practices align with the principles of PIPEDA, including accountability, consent, limiting collection, limiting use, disclosure and retention, accuracy, safeguards, openness, individual access, and challenging compliance.
Transmission, Storage, and Security
We strive to keep your personal data secure, but please remember that no online transmission is ever 100% secure.
Your data is stored on secure servers and is accessed following our security policies. Access to such data is limited, and policies and procedures are in place that are designed to safeguard the data from loss, misuse, and improper disclosure.
Staff or suppliers in other countries with different data protection laws may access your personal data. However, we will protect your personal data as outlined in this policy.
We will keep your data for as long as we need it for the purposes for which it was collected, and we will securely dispose of it when it is no longer needed.
Our website is not intended for use by minors. JSCP does not knowingly collect, disclose, or sell any personally identifiable data of minors. We encourage parents and guardians to observe, participate in, and/or monitor and guide their children’s online activity.
If you believe that your child has provided this kind of data on our website, we strongly urge you to contact us immediately. We will do our best to remove such data from our records quickly.
© J. S. Cheng & Partners Inc.
1500 Don Mills Road, Suite 706
Toronto, Ontario, M3B 3K4, Canada
Last Updated: 12 June 2023